Last Updated on: 13th September 2021, 12:20 pm
With students now back to school, it’s important that drivers are prepared for busy school zones this Fall.
When driving in school zones remember:
• Reduce your speed and be prepared to slow down or stop for pedestrians.
• Avoid double parking and U-turns (drive around the block instead)
• Watch for children between parked cars and in parking lots.
• Don’t drive distracted and avoid using your hands-free device.
• Remember to be patient, and be ready to stop at all times.
Remember to obey the crossing guard:
• All vehicles must come to a complete stop
• Remain stopped until the children, and the crossing guard, have safely crossed the road.
School Bus Safety
• Stop when a school bus’s red lights are flashing and stop arm is extended
• Wait for flashing lights to stop and the bus begins to move again before driving
• Never pass a stopped school bus, it is illegal and dangerous.
Road safety is a shared responsibility and a community issue; parents are urged to always follow safe driving practices especially in school zones.
Safer school zones start with you!